Vice President Jusuf Kalla has rebuffed a senior minister’s claim that Indonesia will drastically scale back its ambitious electricity generation program.
“There’s no need to talk about this anymore,” Kalla told reporters in Jakarta on Tuesday in response to comments a day earlier by Rizal Ramli, the coordinating minister for maritime affairs, that the program to generate an additional 35 gigawatts of power by 2019 was unrealistic and that the target had been slashed to 16 GW.
“If the target’s been set, then the target’s been set,” Kalla said. “Who said it’s been changed? Who changed it? Can the coordinating minister change the president[’s program]?”
He also said he had checked with the head of state-owned electricity monopoly PLN and confirmed that there was no change in plans from the original target.